Monday, September 21, 2009

DC Update

Hello everyone! I apologize for the lack of updates recently. Classes have been really great, with lots of reading. I love them all: Bio statistics, Epidemiology, Global Health Study & Design, and Global Health Frameworks. The professors are amazing and have a plethora of experience in the field. I sit in class on the edge of my seat, like I'm watching a really intense action movie, especially in Epidemiology.

So far, I've been just studying and reading a lot, which I love. Oh! Also, I'm learning Bangla with some other students going to Bangladesh as well. We are thinking of touring parts of Asia prior to starting our studies in the Spring, hopefully that will work out. I've been working at the hostel, going good too...a lot of interesting people from around the world. DC is beautiful, I love the architecture, public transportation and riding my bicycle. Although, I must say the metro was incredibly crowded last weekend with the crazy protesters - a lot of people with signs that did not make any sense such as the one where Obama has a Hitler mustache, ridiculous!

Hmmm...what else is new? I saw "The Exorcist" recently and surprisingly I was more entertained than frightened. However, I did think the movie "Candyman" was more scary. There is DELICIOUS Thai food here as well. I think I'll have to go to Chinatown and get some ingredients in order to attempt the recipes myself. I already know how to make a Yellow Chicken Curry (or Red Curry is just as good), but my next project will be Drunken Noodles.

Couple great websites to check out:
International Peace Day
Public Health
Center for Global Development

I'm currently reading (besides books for classes) ...I Have not had a chance to continue my updates on GoodReads.com but I think this will suffice :)
- Lolita
- How to Build a Time Machine
- The Island of Dr. Moreau

Things people have tried to sell to me or others on the metro:
- Fancy sunglasses in a briefcase
- Incense
- Gucci bags

Yesterday, I went to Ocean City, MD with this adventures group from school. It was a surfing trip! I surfed for the first time, but not successfully. Somehow I managed to get on my knees, but that was it. Still a really fun time, the weather was a bit chilly but that's okay. It was the beach and I loved every minute of it! I even have bruised elbows and knees from it!

Pictures of the beach, a really plump pigeon which was quite amusing, as well as some of the sights I've seen in DC are located here

Also, this morning, as I was coming up my porch steps...I saw this adorable creature!
Of course, I fed it a little turkey, milk and water. She looks about 2-3 months old!

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing well and feel free to comment/email/call and let me know how things are back in the Midwest :)



1 comment:

  1. hi Katya,
    So good to get an update. You sound so very excited and happy...glad you are settling into DC life. I think your kitty's face looks like a ying/yang symbol. She is adorable. --Lori K

    ReplyDelete