As much as I've enjoyed working night shift at the hospital in Kansas, from the traumas to the spinal fluids, it's time for me to pursue my dreams.
I will be studying Global Health in Washington, D.C. commencing this Fall through a Public Health program. It has always been a dream of mine to travel the world, but at the same time, make it a meaningful travel experience. Global health and travel are two of my greatest passions. In the Spring of 2010, I will be participating in an Overseas learning program at the James P. Grant School of Public Health in Bangladesh (http://www.bracuniversity.ac.bd/I&S/sph/) through my host university in D.C. During my semester there, I will post pictures, videos and thoughts about my experiences.
A number of books that have shaped my life include Banker to the Poor by Muhammed Yunus, and Monique & the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway. Banker to the Poor is about the beginnings of the Grameen Bank by Yunus. Grameen Bank was established in order to provide loans and support for the poorest people who were not able to get loans at other places. Grameen Bank is based on trust, not on collateral. It is a really interesting read and provides a different perspective on reducing poverty. http://www.grameen-info.org/
Monique & the Mango Rains is the story of Monique, a young midwife from the perspective of Peace Corps' volunteer, Kris Hollooway in Mali, West Africa in the late 80s. www.moniquemangorains.com. There have been several other books listed in my profile that have also been just as inspiring. Along the topic of books, I am really enjoying www.goodreads.com thanks to Paula at work :)
I'll write more about Bangladesh as this Fall progresses, but now I am in Sarasota, Florida with my family. We have a tornado warning and there are 3 hurricanes expected to arrive this week. Fortunately, I am flying out to DC on Tuesday and my parents drive back home that day, too.
If anyone ever comes to Sarasota, they should really go to St. Armand's circle and try the Sangria and desserts at the restaurant, Columbia; a very pleasant European atmosphere.
As for my living situation, that is still uncertain. I should hear back from the RA position tomorrow, and if that doesn't work out then I'll keep searching for a place to live. I'm not too worried about it. Anyways, I miss everyone in Kansas and you're all welcome to come visit me :)
Hi Katya,
ReplyDeleteRainy days here too. I'm off a couple days to get son Tyler's Sophomore year off to a good start. Hope you find a spot to rest your head in D.C. soon. Guess that's part of the adventure. take care, Lori K.
Katya
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your global adventures. Interesting. Looking forward to keeping up with you.
Glad you got the RA job. Trust you have a great fall semester and enjoy your classes.
Whitney's "last night" was last night. We will sure miss both of you
Keep in touch.
Rita K.
Hey, Katya! Thanks for sharing your blog with me. I think it is fun to write about the current events in one's life. Can't wait to read more, especially next Spring when you are having grand adventures! Keep it up!
ReplyDelete--Shanna